District News Articles

  2. Water that runs off your property into streets, storm sewers and drainage ditches may eventually make its way into reservoirs and streams.  As it travels, the water an pick up pollutants that can threaten clean water resources.

    Here are some steps you can take to reduce pollution in run-off water:
    Dispose of Waste Properly
    Bag pet waste and place it in the trash.  Pet waste contains harmful bacteria that could place water sources at risk.
    Recycle or dispose of used oil, antifreeze, pain and other household chemicals property, not in storm sewers or drains.  Bring old or excess products to a local Hazardous Waste Roundup Day.
    Mop up spilled brake fluid, oil, grease and antifreeze.  Do not hose them into the street where they can eventually reach local streams and reservoirs.
    Control Landscape Materials
    Use chemical fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides fertilizers sparingly and sweep up excess.  Never apply chemicals when a heavy rain is forecast!
    Control soil erosion on your property by planting ground cover and by stabilizing erosion-prone areas.
    Cover piles of dirt or mulch being used in landscape projects to avoid washing these materials into storm drains.
    Prevent Nutrient Loading
    Keep leaves and grass clippings away from streets, storm drains and drainage ditches.  These added nutrients feed our water bodies and contribute to harmful algae blooms which kill fish.
    Purchase household detergents and cleaners that are low in phosphorous to reduce the amount of nutrients discharged into our lakes and stream.  Consider alternatives such as baking soda, vinegar and hot water as a drain cleaner or vinegar and hot water as an all-purpose cleaner.
    Some counties and municipalities conduct annual collections of household hazardous wastes, while others have permanent collection facilities or sponsor curbside pickup programs.  Household chemical waste collections are limited to residents of the county or municipality that sponsors the event or facility.  Proof of residency is usually required before wastes will be accepted.  There may also be a fee associated with collections to help defray the costs of the collection activities.
    Always call ahead to determine what wastes your facility is able to accept and to confirm the date and time.
    For more information or to obtain dates and locations of future collection roundups, contact:
    Arapahoe County residents:  Tri-County Health Department Household Chemical Information Hotline at 303-846-6249 or visit their website at:
    Jefferson County residents:  Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment. Hazardous Materials Assistance Line at 303-692-3320, visit their website at or email them at